Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1992 Mercury 200XRI. It started loosing power when

Customer Question

I have a 1992 Mercury 200XRI. It started loosing power when running & would sometimes shut completely down. It may or may not start right back up but may or may not run well enough to plane out. Then it may run normal again the next time out. This went on for about 2 years. Finally would barely run at all. I work part time at a small boat repair shop & we started the process of elimination. Rebuilt fuel pump, replaced fuel lines, replaced TPS, verified correct fuel pressure, etc. Compression check showed one cylinder down to 0. Pulled head found burned piston (obvious lean out) Rebuilt engine, checked all components. Had all injectors check cleaned & flow tested. Found one 1 injector weak, cleaning fixed it. Back on the water engine ran great first time out. Next time out ran great at start of day, 1 hour later back to original problem. Next thought is replacing ECU. ... Recomendations PLEASE.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 11 months ago.
Hello Gary, my name is***** will assist you.Have you scanned the engine when it is not running good?How is the battery voltage when the engine is running?does the warning horn in the boat sound at key up every time?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Have not scanned engine, have not seen change in on board battery voltage gauge during problem, yes alarm sounds at each key up
Expert:  Charles replied 11 months ago.
Ok, I have a few simple checks that we can do right now, if you are ready. Are you near the engine?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry, boat is at the shop. But I will gladly take any advise you have & follow up but probably can't til Monday. We tried to do some more troubleshooting this last Monday but couldn't get it to run. It started once but could not get it started & run again. Would only try to fire but not run. Even gave it a shot of start fluid but still didn't start
Expert:  Charles replied 11 months ago.
How do your plugs look?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Only ran for about 2 hours after rebuild. Plugs were new with rebuild. Still look new.
Expert:  Charles replied 11 months ago.
Ok, Are you sure that you are getting spark on all 6?I will need to know the current compression on them. As well as the fuel pressure, and which plug that you are using. Also the battery voltage without any chargers on it and if it will pass a load test.
Expert:  Charles replied 11 months ago.
Then try and start it with the scanner connected, looking at active faults, do any at all pop up?
Expert:  Charles replied 11 months ago.
Oh, fuel pressure while cranking also.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Have run compression check twice after rebuild & all were in the 120 range, I can check again if you need exact numbers. Have new Interstate battery in it now. Had to replace it as I have not used it in almost 2 years because of this problem & didn't want to burn any more Pistons up. Stock plugs NGK BU8H? can't remember right now. Fuel pressure was 40psi when we checked fuel system.
Expert:  Charles replied 11 months ago.
Great. How old is the gas in the boat?
Expert:  Charles replied 11 months ago.
Did you dump the filter into a glass jar to see if there was any water in it? Or pieces of the fuel line?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Last summer, with treatment over this last winter. And yes fire on all 6 cylinders. The ecu is about the only thing we have not replaced or checked. Yes pulled fuel sample Monday, no water present.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We have swapped the stator with no change.
Expert:  Charles replied 11 months ago.
When the engine dies, I take it that it is fully warmed up and will not restart until it cools down?Does the engine fuel pump ever stop running when the engine is running? You would see a drop in the pressure then? Is it losing spark?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes, always after engine has warmed up. But it may start back up immediately, or may take several minutes. May run fine immediately or not go over 2000 rpm & bog when trying to get it to accelerate
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can't answer fuel pump or spark question, I have not checked.
Expert:  Charles replied 11 months ago.
Ok, I am going to need some voltages going to the switchboxes and coming out from them as well. This can be at cranking with the plugs out if you have the plug wires hooked to a spark tester. I will need the voltage on the Blue, and the Blue/white (low speed coil), and on the Red, and the Red/white (high speed coil)
Expert:  Charles replied 11 months ago.
Hook the fuel pressure gauge to the engine and run it, leave the gauge hooked up.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
IF, I can get it started I will get this info this next week. How do I get this info back to you?
Expert:  Charles replied 11 months ago.
Simply reply back to me the same as you have been tonight. I do have a day job, as a Certified Mercury Tech during the day 8-5 CST, I normally come online after 6PM CST. Should you reply while I am away, I will be notified and respond as soon as I get back online.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay, I usually work at the shop til 7:00pm anyway. Thank you for your assistance.
Expert:  Charles replied 11 months ago.
Which time zone are you in?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
CST- Okla.
Expert:  Charles replied 11 months ago.
Mon 4 Apr, 6 PM , I am online if you are ready
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Charles,
Sorry I picked up a stomach virus. Up @ 3:45, wasn,t pretty, haven;t been out of the house today. hopefully tomorrow. Thank you for checking in. I will get back with you.
Expert:  Charles replied 11 months ago.
Ouch man, sorry to hear about that. But do me a favor, can you keep it in your state and not let is cross over into Ar?