Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Coughs and dies. one plug is black and wet JA: Sometimes

Customer Question

coughs and dies. one plug is black and wet
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: plug is fouling out and it dies
JA: Anything else I can tell the Marine Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 8 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist you today.What is the engine that you are working on?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
1984 35 hp johnson
Expert:  Charles replied 8 months ago.
ok, thanks. Have you tested the compression on the engine yet?How does the other plug look?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the compression seems low but both are the same. 70 psi and the other plug still looks new
Expert:  Charles replied 8 months ago.
Ok that is very low. This engine will be tough to getting running correctly. Have you looked at the spark on both cylinders?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
yes. both pretty blue and easily arcs 7/16 gap
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the compression has been low since I have owned it. last year it only did it when I first started it up till it warmed up and only every blue moon