Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Runs good but when I put in water try to take off it only does

Customer Question

runs good but when I put in water try to take off it only does 2000 rpms and will not plane off
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: i pulled it home checked the firing and it is firing on all cylinders it starts up good on the hose runs around 1,100 rpms and after a minute or so drops down to around 900 rpms reves up good on hose just seems to have lost power when at the lake will not run past 2000 rpms trying to get on plane compression is good all around 100 or so it is a 1998 j150
JA: Anything else I can tell the Marine Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: all i know
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read all that you wrote. Compression looks good. have you checked spark output with a timing light or spark checker to make sure it's firing on all cylinders? Also a couple of more questions for you. 1. How old is the fuel?2. When was the last time the engine did run correctly?3. Was the engine sitting for a long time?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it was running good but when i ran it yesterday it would not take off i use it every weekend so fuel is good it did run hot the weekend before and droped me back to slow mood i have replaced the thermostats the were stuck or one was have checked it with heat gun and runs on have around 150
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.
Are you able to check spark output? Is that something you know how to do and have the tools for?Also, does the alarm system work on the engine, does it beep every time you start it, and was it beeping when it overheated on you?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes it was peeping but doesn't beep now after I replaced the stats
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a ffluke meeter if that helps
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.
Is the engine still running hot? If you run it a few minutes, do the tops of the cylinder heads feel like a hot cup of coffee or are they scalding hot?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No it does not run hot anymore feels like a hot cup of coffee
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.
Do you have a timing light, or a pair of insulated pliers?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a timing light and a set of pliers insulated
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.
Start by firing the motor up. Hook your timing light up to each plug wire one at a time. See if the light flashes consistently with engine rpm, or see if it is erratic, or not flashing at all, and let me know what happens.
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.
Hello. Just checking in. Any progress?
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.
How are we making out?