Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 1987 evinrude 40 hp vro. It has power trim. I replaced

Customer Question

I have a 1987 evinrude 40 hp vro. It has power trim. I replaced the tilt trim motor. When the tilt trim red and black wires are the only wires connected to battery the tilt trim works perfect. Now when I connect the boat motor leads to battery the tilt trim motor binds and the tilt wires get hot. It's the black engine wire that causes the problem. It's a ground issue but I can't figure out. Any ideas?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.
Hi Tim, my name is ***** ***** likely the wire has corrosion inside of it, under the jacket. Have you cut the wire back, stripped it, and installd a new connector on it yet?
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.
Are you still with me?
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.
It looks like you read my reply and logged off. In electrical circuits, resistance to current flow is what causes heat. If you take your basic light bulb, the filament inside of it is an electrical resistor, and it resists current that flows through it. That is what causes it to get hot. On your trim wiring, there should be no resistance to current flow between the motor and the battery. If there is, the spot that the resistance is located is the spot that gets hot. This is why a light bulb gets hot, but the cord to the light bulb does not get hot. What you are going to find is water at some point has gotten behind the cable crimp and wicked it's way up the wire, where it has sat, corroding the wire on the inside. What you want to do is cut the end crimp off, and then very carefully with a razor blade slice up the cable until you can see the clean wiring separate from the corroded wireing. And then install a new crimp onto the cable and seal it shut with some heat shrink. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.Thank youJason
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.
Hi Tim. Just checking in. Any luck with the problem?
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.
Hi Tim, It looks like you read my reply without putting through a rating for me. Please keep in mind the website does charge you to speak with me, but they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you out if no rating is put through. If you have a problem with the ratings box or can not see it please let me know.ThanksJason
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.
Hi Tim. How are you making out?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Still have same problem.
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.
Did you strip the wiring back on the black wire?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes. But that's not the problem. I replaced the tilt motor. As long as the tilt motor is the only one connected to battery the motor works ok. It's when the boat motor black cable is connected to the battery along with the tilt motor that the tilt motor binds and the wires from the tilt switch get hot. As long as the tilt trim motor is the only one connected it's fine. The boat motor will crank ok . It's not corrosion. Do you understand what I'm talking about?
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.
Are you stacking the main engines cable on top of the trim motor wire or stacking the trim motor wire on top of the engine cable? Also, you just wrote "the tilt motor binds and the wires from the tilt switch get hot"Is it the wires at the battery that are getting hot or the wires at the actual tilt switch?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I put tilt wires next to battery but it does it either way. When the boat motor black cable is connected to battery with tilt motor the tilt motor binds and the wires at the tilt switch get hot. I eliminated the switch being the problem by unhooking it and putting power on the blue and green wire. The tilt motor has a blue, green and black wire.
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.
There isn't normally any real current at the tilt switch, and it shouldn't get hot. Did somebody re-wire this outboard so that the switch is controlling the trim motor directly? Or does the switch still activate the trim relays?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I believe the switch is controlling directly. I bought this boat used last year. The existing trim motor was no good. Could have been rewired the way it looked. What do you suggest. There are no relays.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'll be driving so I can't respond.
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.
The switch, and its wiring, is not designed to handle the current the trim motor draws. So if somebody did re-wire this and eliminated the relays then that is obviously going to be the problem. And the outboard will need some new relays properly wired up. I do apologize for my responses earlier, I assumed the engine was all stock.
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.
Hi Tim, just checking in. Were you able to have another look at the motor to see if it was in fact re-wired?
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Hi Tim, how are we making out?