Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a coolant leak on my mere 470 mere. The leak seems

Customer Question

Hi. I have a coolant leak on my mere 470 mere. The leak seems to be in the area where the exhaust meets the transom plate but it very hard to tell. I dusted the the complete engine with chalk powder and still can't see where it is leaking. Any ideas on this?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else I can tell the Marine Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: Know anyone that wants to buy a boat?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** only one way coolant gets through to the exhaust either the gasket on the riser is bad or the heat exchanger has a hole in the cooling tubes. Typically the rear cylinder will show signs of water or coolant on the spark plug if the riser gasket is bad. If gasket on riser is good that leaves the heat exchanger. The best way to find a leak on the heat exchanger is to remove the end cap and look for coolant in the exchanger. There should be no coolant in the raw water side of the exchanger.Post back with questions.