Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Just getting ready to fish, my 521s will not power up,

Customer Question

Hi, just getting ready to fish, my 521s will not power up, I've checked the inline fuse, confirmed power at pins and power supply, any ideas what's up? I have only used this unit inside of my sailboat, I mounted it with the transducer that was supplied with the unit on my fishing boat last fall, it worked fine but now, nothing.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** will assist you. How did you verify power at the end of the cord in the plug?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With my snap on multi meter
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
And it read at lest 10V DC?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked everypin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a mechanic, but have no experience with troubleshooting this product
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe it was 9.75
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have an amp clamp for my meter but I believe it should be 2 amps
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Only two are the power. This unit needs at least 10V to turn on. What is the battery at currently?If you want to switch to the phone, I will send the offer, but I cannot call Canada, you would need to be able to call the USA.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The battery read 12.8 I had the charger on at 2amp charge, 2 pins have power? 1unit 1 transducer?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it this not your plug in?http://pinout.net/pinout-scheme/3982/GARMIN%2019%20pin%20NMEA%200183%20GPSMAP
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes thanks, ***** ***** not have the schematic, but that is it
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Great. If you are getting 12 at the battery and only 9 at the plug, you have a bad voltage drop in the boat somewhere. Make sure that all the battery connections are clean and tight. Then move to the fuse box and check them as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok can I follow up with you tomorrow?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Yes, but I will not be online until around 6 PM CST. Have to go out of town for a Dr visit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will check back tomorrow evening
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Great, talk to you then.