Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

I am ***** *****. I have a 1994 force 120. The lower unit

Customer Question

Hi I am ***** ***** Davis. I have a 1994 force 120. The lower unit gears are badly worn, I would just like to replace it with good used. I am finding type a 20". But I believe mine is type B. Is there any compatible models that are interchangeable to give me a wider option.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: All the gears in lower unit badly worn probably bent shaft.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Marine Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $26 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 10 months ago.

You can actually use any of the A,B,C or D lower units. They are different and you need to know which one you have to order parts but they will all bolt up to the same midsection, shifting and driveshaft. So what ever you get will work. Type B,C,D are preferable for the water pick up location.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. We just dropped the type b. With all parts associated. If I get type A will that work. Or do I need parts to change? Or just bolt it on.
I know the type a has intake on bullet. Type c has centerline above bulett.
I hope it is just a swap.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 10 months ago.

Just a swap, the parts that mate to the midsection are all the same.