Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Chaparral sunesta bilge is stuck on, Boat is off. Battery is

Customer Question

Chaparral sunesta bilge is stuck on
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Boat is off. Battery is off and we are ready to go home but bilge keeps running
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Marine Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $26 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

The auto bilge float switch is shorted or stuck in the up position. To fix the issue remove debris from under the float switch or replace the switch. This switch could be separate from the pump or be part of the pump depending on what was installed.

You can disconnect the auto float switch if the switch is separate from the pump. Disconnect at the battery directly. There is a wire with a fuse that is connected directly to the battery. The boat is wired this way so the pump will still work on auto with battery switch off.

Locate the brown wire with fuse at battery to disable pump.

Post back with questions.

Expert:  Tan replied 8 months ago.

Did you find your problem? Can I offer further assistance?