Kenny O.
Kenny O., Personal Watercraft Specialist, Kawasaki Jet Ski, Yamaha Wave Runners, Sea Doo Watercraft
Experience:  Product Specialist Kawasaki Factory Support 24 Years, 8 years National Technical Director IJSBA
30381042

Kawasaki 1100....My son drove it while and stopped....now it

Customer Question

Kawasaki 1100....My son drove it for a while and stopped....now it doesnt turn over, I hear a clank like the starter is engaging but the motor wont turn over. Is this likely a starter issue or a burned out bearing or other?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** am I speaking to ?

I need the model code, or give me the HIN hull number, I can get it from that, also hours on it and where s its primary use, salt or fresh water

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Kawasaki 1100cc Sport Tourer jet ski. !999 so it probably has a few hours. Was running great. Fresh water only.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

!999, do you mean 1999 ? do you have the model code ?

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

This unit should have an hour meter, can you get that ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
1999. I do not havea model code. It is a 3 cylinder 1100 cc engine
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

No hours ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry....I had a stroke a while back Which makes it difficult
to walk to unit.....no hour meter found
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

Its part of the meter unit, OK have you done anything to attempt to figure out what it might be ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
maybe on speedometer.....I can look if you'd like
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
poured a little oil into spark plug sockets to see if cylinders would be freed....no effect.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

What I would need you to do initially is pull the spark plugs and then see if the engine will turn over, make sure that the battery is fully charged and there are grounding posts for the spark plug caps, will it turn over with the spark plugs out ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2-cycle engine
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

I understand what you have

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Anything Else?....Is it the starter as I suspect? How do I get at the starter?
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

Here is what I would try first, in the front of the engine is what we call the flywheel cover, there is a gray cap on that cover at about the 12:00 o'clock position, unscrew that cap and you'll see the flywheel, adjacent to that is the starter bendix, what happens some time is the bendix gets jammed into the flywheel which prevents it from spinning. Now the starter motor could be the problem also.

So what I would like you to first try is to see if the engine is locked up, probably the easiest way is to go to the back of the engine and there is a black cover over the couplers, remove that cover and looking down at the coupler see if you can turn it either way, but first try turning it clockwise, if the bendix is jammed as I mentioned earlier then it might free it up, of you feel like something popped when attempting to move the shaft then that might be it and then try starting the engine, if its hard or want turn then try it both ways, if you cant get it to move then get back to me.

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
as I understand it.....I go in through the front Hatch, removing the oil tank,,,,If this is so I will have to wait for warmer weather.....we are expecting 3 inches of snow today.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

No its a tight fit to get to the cap on the front of the engine, remove the seat and then where the opening for the engine compartment towards the front, if you look straight down as the front of the engine you will see the cap that I'm talking about.

Sorry for the snow ! Yikes

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I wont attack it until warmer weather but are we talking about the front or rear of the enging....either way there is very little access.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

I agree its tight, but that's a good start, from what I offered you should be able to come up with what's going on, if its a bad starter bendix you will need to remove the engine, its just easier that way, a bad starter motor can be replace with the engine in the hull.

Something I didn't touch on is make sure that nothing is jammed in the pump, that can also give you the effect that the engine is locked up.

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Something Jammed in the pump? Could be ,my son was running it in sand and gravel (sometimes he's an idiot). How do I chech for that???
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

Hey it happens, if I told you I never sucked anything up, I'd be lying to you !

Anyway you need to look at it from both ends, if you can roll it on its side and then get a flash light and look through the exit/directional nozzle, the nozzle on the back that under the bond line, you'll need to look to see if anything is stuck between the impellor and the vanes that are in the pump assembly.