Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Tan I have a lees 6-115 heat exchanger and have bad pitting

Customer Question

Hi Tan I have a lees 6-115 heat exchanger and have bad pitting on the outer casing where the o ring sits. How is the best way to repair? Regards Graeme
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 8 months ago.

Hi Graeme.

You can take the heat exchanger to a machine shop and have them repair the bad areas. A temporary fix is to use some marine-tex epoxy and fix the area. This will last for awhile but isn't as good a fix as the machine shop can do.

You also might be able to get a piece of flat rubber or a round gasket like this and use it instead of the o-ring. Here are some gaskets for exchangers. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&gws_rd=ssl#q=mercruiser+heat+exchanger+end+cap+gasket&tbm=shop

Post back with questions.

Thank you.......Tan