Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1995 cummins marine 5.9 bta when i was winterizing

Customer Question

I have a 1995 cummins marine 5.9 bta when i was winterizing it. It would start and stall or shut down after about 15 to 30 seconds.It ran great all season.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Hi Frank, my name is Jason.

When you say "when i was winterizing it. It would start and stall or shut down after about 15 to 30 seconds". Was the starting and stalling only happening when you were winterizing it? I don't quite understand.

How old is the fuel?

Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Are you still with me?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
THE FUEL WAS ABOUT A WEEK OLD. THE OUTSIDE TEMP WAS ABOUT 60.THE BOAT RAN GREAT ALL SEASON AS IT WAS USED FREQUENTLY. IT WOULD RESTART AND SHUT DOWN AGAIN .I WAS THINKING THE RUN SOLENOID OR STOP SOLENOID IM SURE WHAT THIS ENGINE HAS.
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Can you throttle it up and run it at a higher rpm without it stalling?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
NO I TRIED THAT IT SEEMS ELECTRICAL
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Is there power on the stop solenoid with the key in the run position?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I DIDNT CHECK IT, I WASNT SURE OF THE PROCEDURE?
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Check to make sure you have power at the stop solenoid with both the key on engine off, and then again with the engine actively cranking over. Are you near the boat now to check this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
NO I WONT BE UNTIL THE WEEK END.PLEASE PROVIDE ME WITH SOME COMPONANTS TO CHECK AND THE PROCEDURE. I WAS THINKING THE STOP SOLENOID. I SEE A CONTROL MODULE MOUNTED ON THE SIDE OF THE BLOCK AND DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS FOR AND HOW TO TEST IT.
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

A bad key switch would be the most likely issue. The key switch provides power to the stop solenoid in both the run and the start position. If it's starting and stalling what it sounds like is the key switch is only providing power to solenoid in the start position. And when you let off the key and let it fall back to the run position its not sending voltage to the solenoid, which is causing it to close and stop fuel flow into the engine. Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
POSSABLY BUT IT WILL RUN FOR 15 TO 30 SECONDS.THE ENGINE STARTS BY THE TIME I GET FROM THE HELM TO THE ENGINE ROOM IT STALLS.I WOULD THINK IF THAT WAS CASE AS SOON I RELEASE THE START SWITCH IT WOULD SHUT OFF