Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,

I have a 1997 75 hp Yamaha out board. I just did some parts

Customer Question

I have a 1997 75 hp Yamaha out board. I just did some parts replacements of a new 704 gear shift, new throttle and gear shift cables new key switch and wiring harness from the key switch back to the motor. The old key switch did not have the alarm on it. So when I turn the key to the on position the alarm sounds. And when it starts it still sounds in nuteral. However once I put it in gear either forwards or reverse it goes off but comes on again in nuteral. I ran the boat and runs great except for the alarm????
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

I wish to confirm this is an 1997 and not a typo possibly a 2007 with a water sensor on the fuel bowl as that is a known problem on those newer motors with that fuel/water separator water sensor.

Check oil level and temp, both however should sound even in gear.

Try leaving in neutral but raising rpms and see if the alarm goes off.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm out of town till Friday but yes it's a 1997 that was rebuilt last year. Like I said it ran fine before I did this work. I just replaced all this stuff as preventive maintenence. And runs great now it just that as soon as I hooked up a key switch with an alarm it started doing this right off the bat. It's recirculating water fine. Dis you want me to check oil level in the lower unit?
Expert:  Joe replied 6 months ago.

I meant the oil in the tank not the drive.

I see you also replaced the control, have you checked the part number of the key/harness to that which is for your motor?

The reason is because what you are experiencing is usually only with the 4 strokes with the fuel water sensor. These 2 strokes have an alarm for oil, overheat, etc. Check remote oil tank to be sure oil is not low, this is the tank on the motor not the main tank.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry Joe should of told you I mix the oil. There is no tank. It might be I have the wrong key? The key that was on there had no alarm.
Expert:  Joe replied 6 months ago.

The engine came factory with two tanks, the main and the remote, the remote had a float that tells when it needs more oil which activates a pump that pumps from the main tank, the remote tank and main have sensors to indicate if there is a low oil condition to try and prevent the user from ruining the engine. It is possible that these sensors have in some way caused the alarm since the new harness has an alarm now (granted the previous should have had the alarm as well and someone possibly removed it (possibly from converting to premix?) and if so now you have a working alarm which is good so you at least have warning of possible overheating.

Is there anything else you can tell me on what has been converted or done?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I know the guy that owned this boat brand new he's one of my best friends and I have fished this boat since he bought it brand new it never had a tank for oil either on the motor or spare tank. I have a bigger boat with twin merc's so I understand what your asking. When i had the motor re built it didn't have a over heat sensor so when I asked to have that put on is when he discovered there wasn't an alarm on the ignition. And this all comes back to why I replaced the ignition. Is it the right one? How do I determine that? Not sure what else I can add
Expert:  Joe replied 6 months ago.

I believe you to have an "c" series engine then of which I have not myself come across hands on before, any I have done have either the factory oil injection or have been converted but never any factory that way.

This leaves the only reason for the buzzer to be overheat. I could see a poppet valve as possibly being the problem being stuck open this is where air would be in there and heats up quickly. It almost sounds like when you put in gear under a load the problem is correcting but on this engine I find that odd.

What is the part number of the key switch/harness you installed?