Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

The motor is in the down position, when I push the trim

Customer Question

the motor is in the down position, when I push the trim button it clicks in the motor but it won't go up. because we hear the click we know the power and solenoid are good. might need a new trim motor but nothing we are seeing online looks like ours... Johnson 90 hp mid 1980's
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Have you disconnected the trim motor wires from the trim relays and connect the motor directly to a battery?

The relays can click and still be bad not delivering power to the trim motor.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
dumb question from the wife LOL are those wires in the box in the motor where the clicking is coming from or under the console where the wires go into the trim switch?
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.

The wires are at the motor right at the relays. Locate the relays clicking sound. Look for the large green and blue wires. There should be a plug where they plug to the relays. Pull plug apart and with 2 jumper wires connect to each wire terminal of the plug going to the motor. Now touch one wire to ground and the other to positive 12 volts. The motor should run. If the motor runs reverse the wires the motor should run the other direction. Does the motor run?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the actual boat motor? yes that runs, would starting that maybe help? we don't have jumper wires so we'll have to start there.... if they still don't go up/down does that mean we need to replace the trim motor? is that a do it yourself project? we saw some online but they don't look anything like the one in there now
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.

No when I say motor run I meant the trim motor. I should have said spin or turn. Sorry.

If the trim motor doesn't run it is bad. If the trim motor runs you have low voltage at the relays or bad relays. The engine running will have nothing to do with the trim operation.

I can give you a link to the OE trim motor and after market motors.

This is the trim motor for your engine. This might look a little different but it is the replacement motor.

Post back with questions.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I guess we don't know how to answer that? how would we know? if you mean the same humming it makes when it's going up and down, no we don't hear that.I see on that motor a green and blue wire, does that replace the same wires coming through the engine into the small 1'' box they are plugged into now? or does this have to go back to the trim switch somehow?
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.

Yes the sound you hear when trimming the motor. Yes those are the wires. What we are trying to do here is bypass the relays to determine if the trim motor is bad. This test connect voltage directly to the trim motor. The trim switch has nothing to do with this test. We know the trim switch works as you hear the relays click.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok so we have to start with jumper wires first then... we'll have to get those tomorrow. Are they just generic jumper wires we can get at an automotive store?
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.

You can use just a piece of wire it doesn't have to be specifically jumper wires. Jumper wires have alligator clips. In the plug you have blade connectors so you could use female blade connectors on the end connecting to the motor and just the bare wire to touch to ground and positive.

All you have to do is connect wires to these connections. You could also remove the connectors from the plug. See the 2 wire connectors on the end of the trim motor wires in this pic.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
unattach green and blue wires in that box in the motor, attach those to wires, and then attach those to the battery....
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.

Correct you can't hook them up wrong.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
got it.... that motor you sent the link to, if those blue and green wires go into that little box, then where does that big silver piece go?
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.

The silver piece is the trim motor. Here is a diagram of the trim and tilt for your engine. # ***** is the trim motor.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok so maybe if the wire test shows its the trim motor we buy the part and have an expert put it in? save a little bit of money at least on the part.
if the wire test works and it goes up and down we'll have to go down that road haha
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.

Correct. I can help with the trouble shooting of the relays function or the voltage issue if you need help with that.

You can post back here at no extra charge and we can find the issue.

The question doesn't close after you have positively rated me for my help. Post back if you need further assistance just as you have been.

Thank you........Tan

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
you've been a big help so far... we'll test it tomorrow
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.

Ok keep me posted.

Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.

Please don't forget to positively rate me as that is the only way I get paid for helping you.

Follow up questions are always welcome at no extra charge on this subject.

Thank you.......Tan