Ted G.
Ted G., Rigger, Diagnostician
Experience:  40 years boating, Safe boating instruct., Offshore Race promoter, Failure Analysis, Expert Witness

I have a 1990 craft express cruiser .Two 454 engine .why is

Customer Question

I have a 1990 CHRIS craft express cruiser .Two 454 engine .why is it that when my husband takes me for a ride and I am sitting in the back of the boat trying to enjoy the ocean the fumes and white gas blow in my face.
I get sick from the smell.
Can he do something about this ? Or what could he do to fix this?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Ted G. replied 6 months ago.

The problem you are having is related to the "station wagon effect" basically airflow around the hull as it goes through the air creates a low pressure area just in front of the transom and above the hull. This area causes exhaust gases to be drawn back into the boat. It can be made better or worse depending on if you run with your canvas up. Some people find that running with the canvas up but the front and rear curtains removed or opened can cause a flow of air from front to back which will help blow the fumes back away from the boat. Often it takes some experimenting with various canvas options to find the best combination for ventilation. Other options such as rerouting the exhaust can be done also, but are often cost prohibitive, especially on an older boat. It is something that should be addressed though, because aside from the smell you are subjecting yourself to carbon monoxide, which is poisonous.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I probably
Expert:  Ted G. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I didn't get your last response, could you ask your question again please?