Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have 1988 Vintage twin Cat 3208TA's and two questions. I

Customer Question

I have 1988 Vintage twin Cat 3208TA's and two questions. I have a Glendinning Syncro and single steering station
I need to get the hour meter(s) working. They are connected at the bridge but do not seem to receive input. Where is this connection made? I have a separate hour meter, plus the tachs (VDO).
I also have a balky port Tachometer. Does not go to idle when engine is started but will read after revving. I connected the starboard tach to the port tach and then it works fine. Seems to be a sender? Glendinning?
Bill
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

Hour meters are usually connected to the ignition, when the ignition is on the hour meters will accrue time.

On the tach, this depends on if it was ever changed such as alternator sender driven, if running the factory mechanical drive it will be on the location you indicated off the cam. Try swapping between the two engines after removing the tach drive to inspect it.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Joe...thanks...so the tach drive is on the alternator? I believe the tachs to be original and I did have them rebuilt when I was refurbishing engine stuff. I am not a great mechanic, but want to pass along the correct answers to my guy...Bill
Expert:  Joe replied 8 months ago.

Bill,

No, not on the alternator.... what I meant by that is for instance if they had been changed. The factory units are driven off the cam or glendinning unit.

You'll see the tach wires going into the mechanical sender on the front of the engine.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks...will give it a go
Expert:  Joe replied 8 months ago.

My pleasure Bill, have a good afternoon.

- Joe