Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,

I have a large water leak inside bottom part of cowling and

Customer Question

I have a large water leak inside bottom part of cowling and very little going out small tub, it is a 90 hp. 2011 Honda
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

Start with locating the general area the water is coming from and remember that it can travel from another area, you'll want to check for cracks as under pressure they will leak greater meaning you will want to check for the leaks with it running. If none are found and water is coming up from the cowl then you will want to check if the problem is the powerhead mounting and the gaskets leaking there. Remember to check hoses, anything that has water traveling through it. This is unfortunately a type of problem that can only be found with a person visually locating the problem with the motor in front of them. Now once you find the source of the leak then I can further help on the steps to repair the problem.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's on a houseboat so viewing the motor is very difficult
Expert:  Joe replied 7 months ago.

I understand, but that is the only way to find the problem. If it is too difficult to find the problem with the boat on the water then the boat may need to be lifted out, blocked up and run the motor in a test tank so that it can correctly be diagnosed as there is no way to locate an water leak without visually and hands on testing.