Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I want to dismantle the shift rod from the lower unit. It's

Customer Question

Hi, my name is***** want to dismantle the shift rod from the lower unit. It's the only thing left in the LU. I have removed the shift rod collar nut and the plastic thing. How do the rest come out?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well, the manual only says, "remove the shift rod assembly" - does not say how. Is it a hard pull or some trick?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Marine Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $26 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hey, I got it out now. A bit of heat on the out side and orying on the bottom of the shift rod and some wiggling pull.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

Hi Per, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

What is the year/make/model of the outboard that you are working on?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is a DT 15, 1985.
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Click this link to pull up a parts diagram. Do you have #18 removed from the lower unit?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yep, the collar and the whole assembly as I previously stated. I didn't wait for your answer - I went ahead and figured it out. No help on this matter is needed any more.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I live in Sweden so e-mail is just fine.