Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

We have a 1989 Beneteau 430 Oceanic and in shallow water,

Customer Question

We have a 1989 Beneteau 430 Oceanic and in shallow water, our rudder was smashed in half. Are there replacements for these in Australia or what is the best design for remaking a new rudder?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 8 months ago.

Hello Mike,

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

You should be able to contact the manufacture of which they should be able to provide an replacement. If the choice is to have one made instead then the companies you will be able to have professionally build the replacement for you will know the correct materials to use per application.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Joe,
Thank you. I was unclear on the construction of the rudder but it seems the same as in this link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk5koQmEIrY
The broken part is below the rudder post and is still there but not connected. I guess this design allows for the bottom part to be sacrificial and seems to have worked that way. We had no steering although the cables/tabernacle were undamaged. We have a boat builder looking at it this morning. Would they reconnect the old part and restrengthen the rudder given they can re-foam and re-fibreglass??
Thank you for your quick response.
Regards
Michael
Expert:  Joe replied 8 months ago.

Hi Michael,

The company that is looking at it will be able to determine if they can repair, they are built generally as a solid piece and thus in many times are replaced but in some cases repairs can be made successfully without issue, rudder damage is common and repairs come with that.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Had trouble with the departmental server.
Expert:  Joe replied 22 days ago.

Did you still need further assistance?