Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1998 Indmar marine, trying to set timing. I

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Indmar marine, trying to set timing. I installed the timing shunt and the engine will not start, take off the shunt and plug the harness back in starts right up. Could a a codemate be used on this?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Does the engine have Delco EST ignition? What is the story on the engine,why are you trying to set/adjust the tming?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It has the Delco I just installed long block engine
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Does your timing light indicate that there is spark when you use the timing shunt?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

What is the timing reading when you crank the engine over?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It looks like it is around 30BTDC
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Hmmmm..... When you leave the shunt out, and start the engine, what does the timing read then? Is it 6 to 8 BTDC or so?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll need to check that. Could I put a code-mate on the DLC link and set the timing with it
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Is this engine EFI or carb? What is the model number on it? If it is EFI, are you shunting at the ignition module, or at the data link connector on the engine?

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

are you working on the engine now?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is EFI I was shunting right at the ignition module I have no mode number on it
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am working on it now
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When the engine is running it is at 19
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

With EFI you would not shunt at the module, you would shunt at the data link connector. Do you see a datalink connector on the front of the engine anyplace? Maybe up front on the intake manifold?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have no data link in the front of the engine I have one right a the distributor, it's a 10 port contort with 5 ports in use
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Without a model number I just can't say. I will opt out and leave this open to the community. good luck