Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Thanks assistance... i have a 1995 wellcraft scarab that i

Customer Question

hey Pearl thanks for you assistance... i have a 1995 wellcraft scarab that i bought last year and it has trouble planing out with more than 3 people in the boat im looking into what i can do to increase performance on the boat possibly carb/tune up distributor or whatever else may be a possibility
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: the engine is a new 350 i do not know what performance parts it has other than an edelbrock performer intake and i currently have a 4 blade stainless prop on it but am concerned it is the wrong pitch
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

What kind of RPMs are you getting with just 1 person in the boat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hey , my names Alex, i am getting about 5000 rpms with just one person or 2 in the boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
currently running a 4 blade stainless prop switched from a 3 blade
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Alex. How about when you load the boat up with more people, are you still getting 5k rpms, or is it dropping considerably?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it wont get above 3k and seem stuck in the hole.. its a heavy boat without passengers but id like to do at least 35-40 with 4 people if thats reasonable its a 22ft
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

A set of tabs would help quite a bit. Does the boat have any tabs on it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it doesnt.. so you think since it can do 50mph with one or two people that its not a performance issue per say? just wondering because it is set up with a street carb and i know it should be marine but then there are so many choices on which carb to choose
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

If the engine is making 5k rpms and the boat is doing 50 with 2 people in it, but not with 3 or more, it sounds like the boat is simply underpowered as a whole. But it does sound like the engine you have is making full power. If it wasn't, you would not get 5k rpms with 1 person in the boat. In this situation adding a set of tabs would be the best and least expensive course of action. A set of Smart Tabs runs about 150 bucks or so, and what they do is help in lifting the back up the boat up, getting up on plane quicker, and at a lower speed. Does that make sense?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Click this link. These are the tabs I am talking about.http://www.nauticusinc.com/smart_tabs_automatic_trim_tabs.htmA set of those will help tremendously. Do you have any further questions on the issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
very much so ill look that up .. thanks for the help.. should i stick with the street carb .. ive heard its dangerous ?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

By street carb are you talking about an automotive carburetor, for cars?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bought it that way im no mechanic so i just assumed it was legit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one more question.. what size smart tabs should i try ?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You definitely would want to change that out for a marine carburetor. Automotive carbs are not safe to use in a marine engine. The difference between them is if an automotive carbs floods, it will flood all over the top of the carb, and then onto the intake manifolds, where it can pour all over the engine. On a marine carb, if that floods, it will flood down the carb, into the inside of the engine, where the gas can be safely burnt off. On top of that, automotive jetting is completely different than marine jetting. Marine engines need to run rich, automobiles do not. I did not realize your carb was automotive until you said so. So before buying tabs, get a marine carb and see if that makes a difference with your power or not. It should a little bit, but by how much you won't know until you change it. On the tabs, what you want to do there is call Nautilus and talk to one of their reps, they can guide you to the correct size. Their phone number is ***** the web page.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay thank you very much i think ill do the smart tabs and the marine carb for now and see how things go
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome and I was glad I could help. Please let me know if you have any problems with the ratings box.

Good luck!

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

It looks like you read my reply and logged off without leaving a rating. Please keep in mind the website does charge you to speak with me, but they will not credit me for helping you out, until you put a rating through for me.

Thank you,

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 12 months ago.

Hello. Just checking in. How are you making out?