Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

Having trouble with installing a 2016 mercury 90 hp four

Customer Question

Having trouble with installing a 2016 mercury 90 hp four stroke on a 99 wellcraft boat with analog guages. cant find any color codes on the new instrument harness to interface with old guages
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: i need wire color codes from the new motor instrument wiring harness so I can wire in the old guages
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: Our top Marine Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Marine Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Marine Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

There is an adapter harness that converts the digital to analog. It'll allow most variations to be connected from the new engine harness to the old boat harness, same for the controls if needed. The parts supplier that supplied you with the new engine should have suggested these parts based on the vessel the engine is being installed on.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.

Expert:  Joe replied 8 months ago.

But as a side note, I myself would prefer to run the smartcraft gauges esp for the check engine light, they provide much more than your old analog gauges are going to for you.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
that does not answer my question. I still need the color codes for the mercury harness at the guages plug
Expert:  Joe replied 8 months ago.

It requires an adapter.

Thanks,

Joe

Expert:  Joe replied 8 months ago.

What I mean is the adapter is usually plug and play, the ones that are not come with instructions.

Thanks,

Joe