Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,

I have a sl650 93 its got two timing marks on the stator

Customer Question

I have a sl650 93 its got two timing marks on the stator which one do I line up to and the oil pump has a flat side on the shaft that is sticking out (no threads) is it supposed to be hooked to the carbs (not original motor in the ski) I just got it and I rebuilt the motor it had a bad piston in it
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

1) Insert dial indicator in the plug hole
2) Turn the driveshaft coupler counter clockwise until the dial stops and begins to go in the opposite direction. Once you find this gently turn the coupler just barely back and forth until you find the dead spot where the indicator doesn't move.
3) Zero the indicator then turn the coupler clockwise a couple of thousandths more than the published 0.079 BTDC.
4) Turn the coupler counter clockwise until you reach that 0.079.
5) In the flywheel inspection hole you'll see an arrow and it should be on a set of marks on the flywheel. Use a whiteout pen and put a mark on the flywheel right in line with that timing mark arrow.
6) While in the water connect a timing light, run the engine at 3,000RPM and shine the light in the inspection hole. At this engine speed you should be at maximum timing advance and that mark you made should line up exactly with the arrow.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.