Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I purchased a rebuilt 90HP outboard pontoon boat. I did a

Customer Question

I purchased a rebuilt 90HP Johnson outboard for my pontoon boat. I did a compression teat and each cylinder checked out OK. My problem is at above 3000 RPM's the motor cuts out. When I purchased this motor, I replaced the fuel line from 2 -12 gal tanks to water filter and from water filter to motor with 1/4" fuel hose from an auto parts dealer. When 1 tank runs out of fuel, I switch it over to the other tank manually. I use ethanol free fuel. The manual calls for 5/16 fuel hose. Would this change make a difference? I also mix oil and gas manually as the motor does not have an auto oil injector. I have a water filter between the tank and motor and I change it a couple times a year. I thought perhaps the problem was with the coils (2) as I experienced the same problem with my car and the replacement of the coils fixed it. I have not yet replaced the coils in my outboard. Can you help?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi AJ, my name is Jason.

Is the engine stalling when it hits 3000? Or just getting to 3000 and that is the max it will go?

What kind of compression numbers did you get?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi AJ, it looks like you read my response and logged off. Did you still need help with this?