Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2003 DF140 no one can figure it out. story 613hrs

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Johnson DF140 no one can figure it out. History 613hrs seemed to lose power over a year long period. Changed props tune up etc nothing helped. Last August went fishing, when i started the engine to move the alarm sounded and creep mode. First mechanic tells me ECU no diagnostics said he got a loaner ECU from BRP and tried it and yep the ECU. Spoke with another Mechanic He said Head Gasket no compression in three cylinders. Never heard of a company loaning out electronic parts. Didn't fix head gasket thought something deeper was wrong. Third Mechanic bad coil two cylinders not firing. New coil Started fine all four running, then two, then stops. Engine self diagnostic code32 Map Sensor. Don't Know and neither do the guys getting paid. HELPPPPPP!
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 8 months ago.

I would highly recommend taking the engine to a Evinrude dealer with experience in the 4 strokes. If there is not an Evinrude dealer around, take it to a Suzuki dealer as it is in reality a Suzuki.

You seem to have gotten hold of some substandard mechanics. You either have compression or you don't. It doesn't come and go.

I have never seen an ECU go bad where the engine ran but no diagnostics.

I would kind of agree about a head gasket but before replacing it you need to have a leak down test done.

Your engine only has 2 coils. It is a lost spark system which means the two cylinders to that coil fire at the same time.

You need to do a spark test to see which coil is not firing. You can use a timing light while running to see if it is firing or not.

Finally I would monitor the engine with the computer diagnostics which can tell you if the MAP sensor is actually bad. Many times a code is temporarily set due to messing with the engine and tests.

Let me know what you get to these checks and what you find and we can go from there. Let me know if you have additional questions or how we can go from here.

Thanks