Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

My Yamaha 9.9 outboard starts but there is gas leaking from

Customer Question

My Yamaha 9.9 outboard starts but there is gas leaking from the bottom of the engine. Any advice?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

Hi John, my name is Jason.

Can you see where the gas is leaking from? What is the model number on the outboard?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No I can't . It drips in quite a stream from the lowest point on the engine and collects in the pan below.
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

Somebody is going to have to find the leak. What is it I can help you with?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thought you might know if this a frequent occurrence or if there may be an obvious fix.
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

Leaks happen every day for 100 different reasons. I would have to find the leak for myself.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok then. I will look for help. Please don't charge my Palpal account.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Don't bother. I will look elsewhere for help. Do not charge me for this service as per your promise on your website that you will charge only if the problem is fixed.
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Since the motor has been sitting so long the most common place for a leak is the carburetor. What happens is the inlet needle gets stuck in the open position allowing the carb to flood causing your leak issue. To verify remove the hose on bottom of carb cover # ***** of the carburetor and squeeze the primer bulb. Does fuel pour out the front of the carb?

If yes then the carb is dirty and will need to be removed, disassembled, cleaned and a carb kit installed.

Post back with findings and concerns.

Thank you.......Tan