Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I'm interested in buying a project boat, this description is

Customer Question

I'm interested in buying a project boat, this description is as follows
"OK I have a 91 Bay liner Capri for sale. It is not lake ready!!! It is almost though and have all parts for it . It needs some upholstery work but i have material and carpet. the trailer is good worth 500 alone. I have put a new stater on it and spark plugs but cant get it to spark. Last compression test was between 60 and 120. So with a little work it can be lake ready just don't have time or money to do this just want to sell have clear titles for both boat and trailer never signed over to me because couldn't finish it. It has a 4 cylinder mercury force engine the lower unit is good new propeller, and the transom is good. Also some wood needs to be replaced . Other than that its a good solid boat just needs a little tlc. Open to offers just want to sell thank you. Feel free to text or call thank you. Also always kept it covered since i got it. And have battery to show but keeping battery thank you. Also the flywheel doesn't spin that's what i meant by no spark . open to offers thxn for looking.motivated seller"
What do I need to look for when I go and take a look on Wednesday?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

to start with you would need to go motor shopping. The engine needs a bare minimum of 90 psi across all cylinders. If this has 1 or more cylinders that read in the 60 psi range then that engine has a worn piston, piston rings, and possible cylinder damage. If this was a later model and more common engine it would be worth investigating and tearing down the engine. But on an old 90's Era Force engine, it's simply not worth even trying to figure out why it might have low compression. Internal parts are few and far between on these engines. Does that make sense?

Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason