Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a problem with a Yamaha 180 Outboard engine using

Customer Question

Hello. I have a problem with a Yamaha 180 Outboard engine using excessive 2 stroke oil. The boat has two of these motors was purchased about 6 months ago, the motors were serviced oil adjustments have been checked and set to factory specs on both motors by a qualified technician and the problem one had all the carbs cleaned and new gaskets fitted (due to fuel oxidation whilst sitting) . Prior to this the boat and motors sat in a paddock for approx 10 years but the whole lot was well covered and has not done much more than 100 hours total running from new. From speaking to previous owners there was always a problem with plugs fouling and rough running with the motor in question however the excessive oil usage was not picked up back then or dealt with under warranty It is therefore quite possible the motor has had the fault from new. The motor in question uses at least 5 times the amount of oil than the other which obviously is getting sufficient oil not to sieze or run hot so it is safe to assume that the oil usage is correct on the good motor. Currently a precise measure of oil usage from each motors oil reservoir is being performed so that an exact comparison can be made. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your assistance
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

What is the model numbers on the engine in question? Do you have any idea how much oil you are burning through per tank of fuel?

Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

Hello. It looks like you read my response and logged off. Did you still have any questions on the issue?