Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,

03 25 hp 4 stroke - runs wide open 5 minutes and shuts down.

Customer Question

03 25 hp 4 stroke - runs wide open 5 minutes and shuts down. Will crank back up and ideal but will shut down when given gas. You can hand choke with hand over air box and get back to dock at a fast ideal. 1 hour later it will run again.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

Putting your hand over the throttle bore as to "choke" in a result of the engine being able to continue running means that either there is a lack of fuel and you are reducing the air to fuel to allow it to run or excess air to fuel and you are reducing the air to an amount that allows it to run. This means to first preform a leak down test and check for air leaks and if none are found and compression is good then you'll move on to checking excess fuel first and checking the injectors, make sure to check fuel pressure as well as part of the diagnosis.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.