Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

My 2006 90hp Honda outboard runs great at idle and great

Customer Question

My 2006 90hp Honda outboard runs great at idle and great throttle response up to 6000 rpm at 75% throttle. However, once in gear, the throttle only atains(###) ###-####rpm at 75-100% throttle and no more then 10 mph. Seems it has entered some sort of safe mode? The oil level is proper, all connections are good & clean, no binding in mechanical linkage and everything is hitting their stops are adjusted/set at last 100 hour service...which was about 15 hours ago. No history of problems or other issues. Please advise???
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

Hi Dexter, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Does the alarm system work on the engine? If yes, are you getting any alarm when the problem happens?

How old is the fuel, and when was the last time the engine made full power?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I ran engine (not in body of water) several times during winter. Last time out in boat, September 2015 everything was fine. I've never had such probs with the boat engine. Fuel is high octane & recently filled. It does have the basic over temp and out of water alarms...neither alarm (no alarms) are sounding at any speed or settings. The ONLY problem is in gear, engine is limited to 3000 rpm at full throttle. Normally runs around 5400+/-150 rpm at 100% throttle.
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

If the alarm is not going off then the engine is not entering safe mode.

Because of that, it sounds like the engine is probably starving for fuel. Have you tried pumping the primer bulb over and over with the boat at top speed to see if it makes a difference?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I've tried pumping the bulb...there was no difference.
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

The next steps in troubleshooting this would be checking compression, checking spark output, and checking fuel pressure with the boat at top speed. Are you able to do these sets of checks?