Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Have a 2006 mercury 135 optimax. Starts fine, idles fine,

Customer Question

Have a 2006 mercury 135 optimax. Starts fine, idles fine, when I accelerate it fine for about 5 seconds and it returns to idle speed. I can go to neutral and and try again then it will accelerate for 5 seconds again. Never dies or misses. Just returns down to an idle every time I try to accelerate. No alarms sounding
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Patrick, my name is Jason.

Would you please post the serial number on the engine.

When did this problem start? When did it last run correctly?

Have you tried pumping the fuel bulb over and over to force fuel to the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1B298223this happened about once while engine was under warranty, took to shop and they fixed it. I didn't ask what it was.Then back in the fall it did it again. i can troll around at an idle ok but every time i go it returns to idle speed. its not a fuel issue.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

What makes you confident it is not a fuel issue? Did you hook up a fuel pressure gauge and watch the gauge while the problem happened?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Are you still with me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry, yes l here. I have not but I am positive it's not the fuel, seems like it's in protective mode
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine has low hours and sits ALOT
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Protection mode would cause the alarm to sound. Does the alarm system work on the boat? Does it beep every time you start it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Noticed 2 bolts missing that have ground wires not attached while looking for the serial number
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Does the alarm system work on the boat/engine? Does it beep every time you start it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just tried it.. No beeps
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You'll have to have the engine scanned for codes. It's not something I can help you with here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Boat has been junk since day 1.
motor is the only good part on it
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** was just checking to see if you still needed assistance with the engine?