Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

1995 Sea Ray Sundancer 330 with V drives. Port Engine starts

Customer Question

1995 Sea Ray Sundancer 330 with V drives. Port Engine starts up runs fine, after shutdown for an hour engine restarts appears to run out the fuel in the carburetor and then dies from lack of fuel... Leave it over night and the motors runs normally again
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Can you please advise what engines you have?

Noel

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The title listed them as 260 HP.. I believe this puts them to be 5.0 Mercruisers
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am trying to get the exact size,, I am trying to verify if 5.0 or 5.7

OK I GUESS THEY ARE CARBS SINCE THE AGE OF THE BOAT. DID YOU CHECK THE FUEL FILTER FOR WATER / DIRT?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just confirmed that both carbs were rebuilt. and the size of the engines are 350 ci 260 hp.. Remember the boat's port engine runs fine until restart, and if left alone long enough will again run fine.
Ok still I,suggest you check the fuel filter as any dirt which may be running in the filter may block the flow
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Joel, the filter was changed as part of the carb rebuilt, I would be looking at an anti - siphon valve issue, or a vapor lock if the fuel line was rubbing on something warm causing the sitting fuel on the suction side to vaporize and block until the line cooled and returned the vapor to a liquid.. I am not familiar with this particular fuel delivery system, otherwise I could determine the cause rather easily. Do you have any first hand experience with this type of vessel.

Hi again sorry for the late reply, i own a searay myself but with 4.3 engines but the system is fairly the same. Normally sea rays do not come out with anti siphon valves with their fuel lines which you can easily verify by blowing back into the fuel line from the filter side and you should find it open.

NOel