Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1996 90hp. Yesterday heading across the lake boat

Customer Question

I have a 1996 90hp. Yesterday heading across the lake boat ran fine. Get to my spot and it wouldn't turn off with the key or by flipping the kill switch. Tilt trim on the throttle and deck no longer worked as well. Got back to the ramp and unplugged the gas to stop it. Now it does nothing when you turn the key. What could be wrong??
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 8 months ago.

Check the wiring harness, the large connector at the engine. Remove the engine cover and make sure the male and female ends are plugged in all the way.

Make sure there is slack in the boat's main wiring harness to the engine, that it isn't pulled tight.

Is the key switch in the control?

Check the fuse on the engine too. But that shouldn't affect the engine shutting off.

Post back what you find and we can go from there.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This went to my spam box I just saw this.I checked the connection first. I checked fuses as well. I made sure the key is in properly.Everything was working 100 percent up until I wanted to turn the bait off. On the ride when I accelerated to plane i heard a pop sound. It felt/sounded like I had knicked something with the motor. I know where I was there was nothing to hit. 1 minute before this everything worked completely as I got the boat off trailer and drove it and turned it off at courtesy dock.Now nothing happens when I try to start the motor and the tilt trim on the handle does not work.I need more to look for than the key and fuses. I have had boats for 30 years now and this is the first time I have had this problem so I am stumped.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 8 months ago.

Your engine's ignition system is self contained. As long as it is running the ignition works. The ignition stops when you ground the ignition system, on your engine it is the black/yellow wire. If the engine doesn't turn off then you are not grounding the engine. Depending on which control you have your key switch and kill switch are separate but do join in the harness. The trim switch is independent from everything else with the exception of the harness itself.

So We can rule out individual switches. this leaves the harness or harness connections. The start and trim is fuse protected. The ignition cut off is separate. So the only thing that can disable everything electrical on the engine is a bad harness or connector.

Do you have any power at the starter solenoid?

Do you have power to the trim relays? Ground?

Is the battery in good condition and fully charged?