Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 2000 mercury 200 hp. sometime when you first start

Customer Question

i have a 2000 mercury 200 hp. sometime when you first start to take off i have to pat throttle to get it to go. it is almost like it is starving for gas. it doesnt do it every time
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Is this motor EFI, DFI, or Carbureted? If I can get the serial number that would be best.

What kind of RPMS does the engine turn with the boat at top speed?

How old is the fuel you are trying to burn?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
efi 54rpms is as fast as i have had it. new fuel
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
marty
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Hi Marty. Do you have a fuel water separating fuel filter installed between the fuel tank and the engine?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no but we have ordered one. we have 2 fuel filters between engine and fuel tank
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

you said that the problem doesn't happen every time, how intermittent is it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
every second or third time after you stop and fish and leave to go to another location
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Is it only after stopping to fish?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Sounds like you may be having a little bit of vapor lock, do you know what that is?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
how do you cure that?
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

What you would do is first reprime the engine by squeezing the primer bulb until firm. Then after you start it, pop it into neutral and bring the rpms up to about 1500 for 15 to 30 seconds. Then bring the rpms back down, pop it into gear, and then go off. What vapor lock is is fuel vapor instead of liquid fuel in the fuel lines, and by re priming it and running it at a fast idle, that will help purge the vapors through the fuel system. Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have an electric fuel pump on it so i dont have a bulb
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Is this some sort of aftermarket electric fuel pump between the engine and tank?

Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Your engine should not have an electric fuel pump between the outboard and fuel tank, it's a big no no, and the coast guard considers this illegal, so you might want to think about replacing that with the bulb that is supposed to be there.

I think that should do it. But I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it was doing the same thing that is why the boat mechanic put it on there
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

That's pump is a big no no, if you ever get caught with it the coast guard is going to tow you back, and give you a ticket for a violation. What you want to do is replace it with a bulb, and then follow the instructions I previously wrote. Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it makes sense but i still dont know the answer to my original question
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

I already addressed your question. Did you not see it?

Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Marty i'm here waiting on you, are you still with me?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok i will try it
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

You are very welcome and I was glad I could help.Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Thank you
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Hi. It looks like you read my answer without replying back or leaving a rating. Please keep in mind the website has charged you to speak with me, but they will not credit me for helping you until you put through a rating for me. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, please kindly select a rating for my service.

Thanks again and happy boating!

Jason