Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

Have a vetus bow thruster and it operates intermittently,

Customer Question

have a vetus bow thruster and it operates intermittently, red light flashes and it wont work, turn it back on and it operates and then stops to either port or starboard. runs fine when out of water, boat was delivered april 2014 so not an old unit
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no that's it, just so dammed annoying when trying to dock
JA: Our top Marine Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Marine Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Marine Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

You have one of 2 things going wrong 1 poor battery cable connections or 2 the relay itself. Low voltage from poor connections will make the relay engage and disengage intermittently. Now if this has been going on for awhile the relay contacts will be burned on the contacts and cause the relay to disengage and reengage.

With no load out of the water it doesn't require as much voltage and will not act up. So the load is why it does it in the water. This all points to a voltage supply issue. I would also check the condition of the batteries they could be getting weak causing your issue.

Clean all battery cable connections on the battery and the relay then test if it still acts up then replace the relay.

Post back with questions and findings.

Thank you.....Tan