Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Been sitting form2 years, starts then dies is this a fuel

Customer Question

Been sitting form2 years, starts then dies is this a fuel filter issue?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Pulled boat out of storage, started up ran good for about 1 minute then died, started again then died, it does not stay running, I have had the boat form5 years and have not changed fuel filter,
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Ran great before I put into storage
JA: Our top Marine Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Marine Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Marine Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

What is it that you are working on?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
2002 blue water, with a Volvo penta 5.0 gxi
Expert:  Charles replied 8 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** do not work on these. I will opt out and one of the other techs will be along to assist you.

Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

A clogged filter would cause the issue, but many other things would as well. How old is the fuel in the boat that you are trying to burn? Have you done any testing or diagnostic work on your own yet?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No diagnostics, the fuel is old, it does start right up then dies, wait a few minutes starts right up run for 30 sec, then dies
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

You said the boat was in storage 5 years. Is the fuel in the boat, or at least part of it, 5 years old as well?

Has the engine had a tune up in the last 5 years?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No in storage for 2 years, with ver little fuel in gas tank
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry, I though I read that it was 5 years. No problem. When was the last time the engine has had a full tune up?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When I bought it, 5 years ago, minimal hours on the motor, maybe 150 hours
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Okay, where you would want to start is by changing the fuel filter, and running it off of a different fuel supply. If the engine is better on a portable fuel tank (filled with brand new gas) then the problem is going to be that there is still some old bad gas in the boats tank that needs to be pumped out. If it still does the same thing on a portable tank, then step 2 is going to be to perform a tune up. Items like the cap, rotor, and plugs are all supposed to be changed once a season, as they do corrode just from the sitting, and engine hours don't mean much. (Plug wires are good for 5 years). If it Still is doing the same thing, then at this point it would have to get hooked up to a scan tool and checked for codes/bad sensors. Does that make sense?

I think that should do it. But I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Jason,
Tried that, replaced fuel filter new fuel. Took off the spark arrestor when I turned it over it fires up then shuts off, as i am starting it fuel intermittently sprays into carburetor when it start fuel begins to streams into carburetor till it stalls, like it's not getting enough fuel, try starting again sounds like she wants to start but won't, wait 15 minutes start her she fires up then stalls.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Also, it is starting i am trying to keep rpm at 2k, does for a few seconds then starts to sputter out, then I back off on throttle runs likes it's diesel ing then dies. Wait ten min does the same wtf
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

When you say you tried that, did you hook the engine up to a different fuel tank? Did you use a portable fuel tank filled with brand new gas?

Also, please confirm the model number for me. You wrote initially that it was a 5.0GXI. And then you also wrote that " i am starting it fuel intermittently sprays into carburetor " A 5.0GXI engine would be fuel injection, not carbureted. Can you take some pictures of the engine for me.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Would it have an injector on top of what looks like a carburetor, it is 2002 5.0 gxi, It looks like a carburetor with two electric solenoids spitting fuel into the carburetor barrel, all sitting under the spark arrestor
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Okay that's a throttle body. When you say you tried that, did you hook the engine up to a different fuel tank? Did you use a portable fuel tank filled with brand new gas?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Dam, No, let me try that, I think it is bad fuel,
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Marine engines are under so much of a load that even gas with no water in it that is slightly on the older side will cause the engine not to perform correctly. Let me know what happens when you run it on another fuel supply.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This appears to be the fuel pump hose it sounds like it is whining is this normal? Or is fuel pump going out?
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

It is normal for the pumps to make some noise. I can't see what it is you are trying to show me in the picture, the picture is very dark and of poor quality.

Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Hello. Just checking in. Any progress?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
At funeral this weekend,
Ok, new fuel, runs for 30 second then dies like it out of fuel, start it run rpm to 1200 sounds great for 30 sec then dies like no fuel, take off spark arrestor start it again rev rpm to 1200 runs for 30 sec then dies like no fuel, however jets are spraying fuel into throttle body when it dies
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Will I run at 2k rpms or higher?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Does the same thing at that RPM, also after it runs for the short time period if I try to re start it, it keeps turning over like it is flooded, i wait 2 minutes starts up runs for 30 seconds then dies
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Did you ever check the compression on the engine, or the tune up items (cap rotor plugs)

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No need to chek compression, never had this issue, now your thinking it's spark issue?
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Well what I would do next is hook it up to a scan tool. But i'm assuming you don't have one.