Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2002 Mercury 150hp XR6. engine wants to idle rough

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Mercury 150hp XR6. engine wants to idle rough and sounds like it's missing when at idle and will just die sometimes. Once I get up on plane it seems to smooth out and the when I come back down to an idle it may run smooth and then sometimes it runs rough again and try to die and sometimes when I try to take off and get on plane it will bog down and die. it only does this when it is acting this way. but it doesn't do it all the time. The problem I'm having seems to show up more when it's warm outside. when it's cold weather like in winter the problem seems to go away.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Hi Kevin, good morning, my name is Jason.

When the engine is idling, does turning the idle mixture screws in or out on the carbs have any effect on the idle? Will it make it better or worse? Or do they have little effect on the engine?

Also can you explain to me how you cleaned the carbs?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hey Jason, I haven't tried adjusting the idle mixture screws or adjusted any of the settings on the carbs, I just took the carbs off the engine and disassembled them and cleaned with carb/choke cleaner and replaced the gaskets and seals. They wasn't dirty or gummed up when I disassembled them. Like I stated earlier the problem shows up when it's warm outside, it was 80 degrees here yesterday and it done it a lot! But back when it was cold it ran fine. It's done this for the past 2 years.
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Are you near the engine were you can try adjusting the idle mixture screws and let me know what happens?

Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Hi Kevin. Did you have a chance to try turning the idle mixture screws?