Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1999 Yamaha VX150TLRY. The owner's manual says to

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Yamaha VX150TLRY. The owner's manual says to disconnect the white wire in the back of the motor if it won't start. After the motor quit, I did so and the motor and started and ran at low speed long enough to get me home. What component do these symptoms indicate is malfunctioning. Microprocessor?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Hi Fred, good morning, my name is Jason

Was this white wire a loop that goes into and out of the CDI box? Or is the wire part of one of the harnesses? Was it something you disconnected, or cut?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The white wire that I disconnected (not cut) at the connector provided was a loop that goes into and out of the CDI box. This was the procedure that the owner's manual described. If you diagnose the problem as a unit that requires replacement can you please provide a part number.
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Are you sure it's white and not actually yellow? Can you tell me what page of the owners manual you are looking at? I need to make sure which wire you touched as white does one thing, but yellow does another

Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

I'm actually going to opt out of this. If it was in fact the yellow wire it could be any number of things, and the engine is to complicated to try to solve that type of issue over the internet. You would have to take this into the dealer.

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 8 months ago.

Thanks Fred, let me know what you come up with !

Kenny