Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 175 HP Evinrude FICHT outboard installed on my

Customer Question

I have a 175 HP Evinrude FICHT outboard installed on my boat.I have a battery charging problem.Please help me to detemine for sure what is the problem.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I need to use an external battery charger to keep my battery charged when I am docking.I do not know to say how long the battery will hold wain I am running.I have installed a digital voltmeter to monitoe the voltage of the battery but it seems that the voltage do not decrease.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: I am not shure.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, what is the voltage of the battery with the engine off? What is the voltage with the engine running. You can pull the battery and most any auto parts store or garage can load test it for you, just make sure it is fully charged before having the test done. Do you have a voltmeter to do some additional tests?

What year is the engine, model number?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thank you for your quick response.
I am sorry but I was away from my computer.
I need to check the voltage so I can give you the answers it might take few days because this week the weather will be realy bad.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 11 months ago.

Ok just get back to me when you can.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Jeff,
the engine is 6 cylinders 175 hp ficht 2000.
The Voltage of the battery after disconnecting the external charger is 13.6 Volt.
After lowering the trim and starting the bengine the voltage of the battery dropped to 12.9 volts.
After running the moter at 1500 rpm for about one hour and few time starting the engine the voltage remain 12.8 volts.
At the end when connecting the battery to the charger, the charger shows that the battery is at 25% capacity.
Regards
Ramy Halfon
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 10 months ago.

OK with the engine at rest, nothing running and a few hours since any charging, preferably overnight, check the voltage. Should be 12.5 volts give or take a few tenths. If voltage is good then run the engine up to about 2000 to 2500 rpm and observe the voltage on the battery. Take the reading directly from the battery. With the engine running it should be at least 1 or more volts higher.

If the at rest voltage was not at 12.5 post back what it is. You may have a bad battery not holding a charge.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
O.K
I will check it on next weekend.
Regards
Ramy
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 10 months ago.

Let me know.