Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a new seal kit raw water pump and I am curious about

Customer Question

I have a new seal kit for my raw water pump and I am curious about which direction to install the seal. The one I removed had the open side of the sea to the impeller, but my engineering side says the open side should be toward the pulley (air side)
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the raw water pump was not pulling in water. I have had this before and replaced the entire pump which fixed the issue. I have the issue again and purchased a kit to rebuild it instead of replacing parts that don't need replacing
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Marine Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $26 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

The lip of the seal faces the pressure side. So when the impeller produces water pressure it pushes the lip of the seal closer to the shaft keeping the water in. http://forums.iboats.com/filedata/fetch?id=7014634

So the open side is towards the impeller.