Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

My mercury 9.9 won't start no spark, I tried to start my

Customer Question

My mercury 9.9 won't start no spark
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I tried to start my outboard kicker and turns over and has good fuel checked plugs no spark on either plug
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: No spark
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

I have a couple of questions back to you.

1. All Mercurys are cataloged by serial number, can I get the number off of this one so I can look up exactly which version of the 9.9 you have (they have been making this engine for 50 years)

2. Is the engine tiller control, or remote control with a separate key switch?

3. Do you have a decent quality volt/ohm meter, and do you know how to use it?

4. Are you near the engine now and ready to work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm cliff, it's a tiller , pull cord only, I use it for a kicker, I have a volt meter and ready to work, where is serial number located
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Cliff, the serial number is ***** the clamp bracket, starboard side.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't see any on bracket mount
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hmmm... If you pull the engine cover off, are there any stickers on the flywheel cover?

If not, can you take a couple of pictures of the engine for me, both with the cover on, and off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2nd picture
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3Rd picture
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Got it. Lets start with the stop switch clip. Pull the clip out, wiggle the switch, and put the clip back in. Does spark return?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you referring to the on off switch on the bottom front of motor
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Yes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I uncapped it and held plug in my hand grounded on motor no spark
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unclipped sorry spell check
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Next locate the CDI box. Do you have a black with a yellow stripe wire that comes off of the CDI?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Disconnect that wire, and then check for spark again. Let me know if it returns or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No spark
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Next, disconnect your ignition coil from the CDI box. Measure the resistance between the 2 smaller wires. And then measure the resistance between the larger high tension wires. What do you get for both sets of readings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The black and orange on the coil resistance. 1 and black and orange on the cdi box is none
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I don't quite understand you, did you disconnect the ignition coil from the CDI box?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Coil is .1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cdi does not register
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the coil has a black and an orange wire connecting to the black CDR box behind the connector holder
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CDI not CDR
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

The reading between black and orange should be 0.08 to 0.22 of 1 ohm, what did you get for a reading?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Black and orange on the coil is .1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Black and orange on the CDI box is nothing no reading no tone on meter
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Without being able to do this on the phone it's going to take to long. It's already been an hour. I am going to opt out. good luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why can't you do it on phone
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Because your payment won't go through authorizing phone service.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK we'll it was a good try