Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a Briggs and Stratton 5hp (12y602 0110 E1) Just

Customer Question

I have a Briggs and Stratton 5hp (12y602 0110 E1) Just bought a new carb, spark plug, and fuel pump.
When I try to start the motor, it'll run for a little bit and then start reving really high and just die out. Could it possibly be my rev limiter not letting it run?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 9 months ago.

That engine doesn't have a rev limiter. What is happening is you are running out of fuel. Just before it runs out of gas the engine leans out which causes high rpm. Then it gets too lean and stops. Check for a restriction in the carb or another reason for the carb to run out of fuel. Post back what you find.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Carb and fuel lines are all brand new.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 9 months ago.

I realize that but is is running out of gas. Pull the carb, open it up and check the float.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have a feeling my fuel line connector may be sticking causing it to stop recovering fuel. When I pump the bulb from the gas tank and get it all full, is when it runs the longest
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 9 months ago.

Run the fuel line directly to the fuel pump bypassing the connector. If it runs now you know it is the connector sucking air.