Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I keep blowing a 15 amp fuse on the 14 pin remote control

Customer Question

I keep blowing a 15 amp fuse on the 14 pin remote control harness/cowl trim switch/main power relay. It seems to not blow the fuse running the motor outside the water. once the boat is out in the water is when the fuse keeps going bad.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: its a 90 hp mercury outboard 2006 model with 140 hrs on the motor
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Marine Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $26 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

What this sounds like it that you had an issue with the battery at some point, or there is a direct short in the system for the starting circuit. You are going to need a digital multimeter and some time to locate the issue. I can guide you thru it. Please let me know when you have a meter. I am online in the eve/night weekdays CST, then most of the day on the weekends.

Looking forward to working with you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have a digital multimeter and will let you know when I make it home this evening. Another note is i just had a boat mechanic check the motor after taking the boat out and going dead on the water. He switched out the fuse and ran the motor for a while with no problems. The fuse only has been going out while on the water.
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

Sounds good. I am online until about midnight tonight. I will also need the engine serial number.