Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Battery at 100% engine just clicks when you try to start.

Customer Question

Battery at 100% engine just clicks when you try to start. Checked & cleaned all battery connections.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Engine 60 hp Yamaha. Running fine when last used 3 months ago. Clicks when you hit the starter but engine not turning over.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Marine Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $26 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

Do you have a volt meter to test the voltage at the battery cable connections on the engine when cranking? What is happening is you are loosing voltage or the start solenoid is bad.

Could I get the engine model number please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Boat is at lake home so I don't have access right now. Will be at lake late today if I can respond then.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Later today is fine. Just post back when you are ready or have done the tests. You want to check the voltage on the battery cable connection on the start solenoid with key in crank position. Do the same test on the negative battery cable. This will eliminate possible voltage loss.

Post back with findings and questions.