Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I'm looking to buy a used 2001 SeaRay 215 Express. It has

Customer Question

I'm looking to buy a used 2001 SeaRay 215 Express. It has bottom paint on it but appears to have been neglected for several years. Is there any possible damage to the boat from not having reapplied the paint yearly?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

The only time you can have an issue is if the boat is in the water with no paint. This can cause osmotic blisters in the areas where the gelcoat is exposed. If the paint is just old and no gel coat is exposed there will be no damage. The paint just looses it's affectiveness against growth. Long as no gelcoat is exposed you will be fine. Now to know if you have any blistering just look at the gelcoat it will have blisters in the gel coat. These blisters will look like this. If you see these the bottom will have to be fixed. This requires the blisters to be removed and the fiberglass dried out then re gel coat the hull where the blisters were.http://i.imgur.com/bd3zLWwl.jpg

If you can post some pics I can tell you if there is an issue or not.

Post back with questions.

Thank you..........Tan