Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Is there a way to convert ranger boat keypad to regular

Customer Question

Is there a way to convert ranger boat keypad to regular ignition key if pad goes out?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

The biggest hold up would be which engine that you have on the boat. If you have a Mercury Optimax, all that you would need is a key switch and a harness to run from the console to the engine. If you have a Verado, I would need to know what all Mercury parts are under your console to let you know exactly what you needed to make this swap.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have a Yamaha 250 HPDI VMAX
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

You would need the correct length Yamaha key switch harness, the key switch, and a gauge harness. With all of that you could make the swap.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That is not what I am looking for, from what I am told all I would have to is unplug one connector from back of my key pad and plug that into the Yamaha key switch I bought that goes to the starter circuit. I do not want to change the whole system, there are way too many things that the computer controls, just a way to start my motor if the key pad start button fails to work. Nothing else ever fails on the key pad except the start button and that is just sometimes?
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

Which system is in the boat controlling the items. There are several brands. It would be listed on the main box.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't know that, it is just a computer that mounts up under dash and the key pad and live well pads.
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

The brand would be listed on the computer.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am not where I could look at it right now, I am working in the Gulf, I will have to get back to you after I get home and look that up.
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

No worries. Questions here do not close. When you get back home, lust let me know. Stay safe out there.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
10-4 Thanks Charles!
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

Your very welcome.