Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 96 evinrude 225 that lost most of its power while

Customer Question

I have a 96 evinrude 225 that lost most of its power while underway limped home at idle. Checked for spark some cyl have a very weak spark other have no spark
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Had stator under the flywheel replaced two years ago. With engine running im showing about 15 volts
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Marine Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $26 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Hi David, my name is Jason.

Can I start by getting the model number on the engine.
Next, did 1 bank of cylinders have good spark and the other bank had no spark? Or was it random cylinders?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Jason, only a few cylinders have spark but the spark is very weak. E225TXEUD
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Got it. Both a bad powerpack and a bad stator would cause that symptom, with the odds being in favor of the powerpack. The stator is testable with a decent quality volt/ohm meter. So it can be figured out by process of elimination. Were you looking to test this yourself?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have a multi meter.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The stator is less than two years old. Not sure that matters
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Okay, what you would need to do is disconnect the powerpack from the stator, and make 2 different sets of measurements.

Measure between the brown and brown with a yellow stripe wire - Spec is 900 to 1100 ohms

Measure between the orange and orange with a black stripe wire - Spec is 90 to 100 ohms

If the measurements are within that ballpark, the stator is good, which would mean the powerpack is bad. If the stator fails either measurement, the stator is bad. If the stator does end up being bad you would also want to pay special attention to the flywheel magnets. These engines have a known history of cracking flywheel mags, and when that happens it will wipe out the stator.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks Jason I will do that . I can't work on the motor till the morning so I'll get back to you after that.
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Okay no problem, just post back if you end up having a further question on the issue.

Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Hi David, just checking in. Any progress?