Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

1992 Evinrude 150 V6. I am having some problems with the

Customer Question

1992 Evinrude 150 V6. I am having some problems with the motor killing the batteries quickly. After running for a long distance and turning the boat off the next time you go to start it the motor turns over slowly and acts like the battery is low. The odd thing is when I put a fresh battery on the boat it acts the same way. I thought it may be the starter solenoid but I cant figure out why it is doing this and after a charge the motor cranks fine.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

Hello Daniel. My name is Tan.

Could I get the complete engine model number please?

Is the charging system working? Have you checked the battery voltage at the battery engine off then engine running at 1500 rpms? If you haven't done this test do it now. The rectifier regulator could be bad and draining the battery. If the rec/reg is bad it won't charge the battery and it will go dead. So from your symptoms the charging system is the most likely problem.

Post back with results of test and questions.

It is possible you have a short in the boat also but lets eliminate the engine first.