Ted G.
Ted G., Rigger, Diagnostician
Experience:  40 years boating, Safe boating instruct., Offshore Race promoter, Failure Analysis, Expert Witness
7183013

I have a Yamaha 225 4 stroke 2002. I love the engine! bought

Customer Question

I have a Yamaha 225 4 stroke 2002. I love the engine! bought it with 65 hrs and have 220 now. This year I had trouble with the power tilt it wouldn't go down from the up position. I took the boat out of the water and topped up the hydraulic fluid and it worked. It started to make a clicking noise when operating the trim switch after awhile. I topped up the fluid again and it seems good. I'd like to get through the season (about a month 20 hrs or so). When I opened the reservoir air gurgled out. How much fluid should I put in there and should topping it up every couple of weeks be ok to get me through the season?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Ted G. replied 9 months ago.

With the engine in the down position, top the fluid to the fill port. You should be able to get the time out of it, but you may be getting water in when the fluid goes out, so flushing real well when the season is over is important, don't leave contaminated fluid in the trim system over the off season.