Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I am searching the market to buy aa AQUADOR 23 HT. What

Customer Question

I am searching the market to buy aa AQUADOR 23 HT.
What would be your choice between the two following engines :
Volvo Penta Kad32 or Volvo D3
Thanks for your advice
Best reagards
Gerard Bachy
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Gerard, my name is Jason.

There are pro's and cons to each engine.

The D3 has the newest technology Volvo has to offer. It is lighter than the Kad32. It uses common rail technology for better fuel efficiency. And the boat will perform better with it. The cons are that because it is so technologicaly advanced, if you ever have a problem with it that requires troubleshooting the engine will most certainly have to go to a dealer. They are also not designed to be rebuilt. If the engine ever wears out, or has a catastrophic failure, that would be the end of the engine and you would have to buy a new one.

The KAD32 engine is much more rugged. It has removable cylinder liners, and if it ever wears out or has a failure, it can be rebuilt. It is a little more basic technology wise, so anybody with a diesel background can typically work on them. They are not the most fuel efficient engines (by todays standards). And they are also heavy. If you take 2 identical boats, the boat with the KAD32 is going to be both slower and use a bit more fuel.

As far as which would be the best choice. From a personal standpoint, if I was going to buy a boat and planed on keeping it 3 to 5 years, and then selling it for a bigger boat, I would choose the D3. But if I was buying a boat that I wanted to keep for a long time, longer than 5 years, personally I would chose the KAD32.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I think that should do it. But I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Emmett, my name is Jason.

You can order one through any Yamaha dealer. Did you need the part number on the tool?