Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I live in Beach, California and I am looking to purchase a

Customer Question

Hello, I live in Long Beach, California and I am looking to purchase a 1988 Bayliner boat that has twin WO4C-T Turbo Hino engines with 1130 hours on them, Question What is the estimated life of these engines if properly maintained. What is the expected replacement cost of a rebuilt engines and is the HIno certified mechanic close to me?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

As long as those engines have been properly maintained you could easily see 5000 hours before the need for overhaul. They are very stout and fairly bulletproof. Normally rebuilding them would be recommended as opposed to replacement, and I would guess about $5000 on the low end to overhaul the engine, although that could be a long way off. We are not really allowed to recommend specific repair facilities here on JA, but you will find competent shops in most areas that typically will rebuild truck and equipment engines, and they can handle your marine engine rebuild since the basics of the engine are the same. Often boat yards will pull the engines and then send them to a local diesel shop for the actual overhaul.